Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Orange Crepes

So for Mardi Gras today I decided I needed to cook a French dinner.  Well what yummier French item is there to cook beside crepes?  None that I can think of.  Typically when we have crepes we do them with assorted berries and berry syrups and fresh whipped cream.  Don't get me wrong I love them that way but I wanted something different and more special tonight.  I had the thought that an orange creme fraiche would be yummy in them, but I did not have any of the ingredients I needed so I had to make something up.  And lets say WOW!
So here is what I did.



Basic Crepe: (found from allrecipes.com)
2 eggs
1 c milk
2/3 c flour
1 pinch of salt
1 1/2 tsp oil
Put all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.  Refrigerated for 1 hour.  Heat up medium skillet and brush with oil.  Pour 1/4c batter into pans and cook until brown, flip and cook.

Orange Cream Filling
1 c cream whipped
1 c plain yogurt
2 tsp sugar
1 tblsp concentrated orange juice
1/4tsp orange zest
Whip all ingredients together.
*Whoops I forgot to say chill this for at least 1/2 an hour.  Sorry.  But I promise good things will happen.

Orange Glaze
1/4 c butter
2/3 c sugar
1/3 c orange concentrate
Cook in saucepan until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Stir frequently.

Also whip up some fresh cream with a little sugar and vanilla to top it off.

To assemble place 1/4 c cream mix in crepe and roll up.  Drizzle with 2 tblsp glaze and top with a dollop and freshly whipped cream.
Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

My favorite way to eat crepes is with some powdered sugar and lemon juice. Yum! I might just have to make some tomorrow.