Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tutorial Review {4th of July Wreath}

Sorry I am a day late, but... well... you know... life happens. And I do have a small case of crazy brain.  First off did you read the last post with the cute castle reward chart?  That was my wonderful sister who has tons of fun creative ideas so don't be surprised to see her around here from time to time.
Now for our review.  Today's craft comes from a fairly new blog called Multi Cultural Crafts.  Nelda started blogging just this May.  She has done some really cute things already and I am excited to see what else she comes up with.  She has done some super cute graduation crafts.

And a cute way to spruce up your bathroom wash cloths.
But today we are going to make her 4th of July wreath.
I think it's super cute.  The 4th of July is one of the best holidays out there if you ask me.  I love it!  I also love wreaths, but combining the two has been something of a challenge for me until I saw this.  Here is my finished product.
Isn't that fun!
Okay now for some tips.
First the tighter you make your ruffles the more fabric you will need, I made mine a bit looser then as I put them on the wreath I pushed the ruffles to the front, so my back looks really blah, but the front is cute and ruffled. The top ruffle is gathered too tight the bottom ruffle is just right in my opinion.
Also I found this wreath at my local thrift store for $1.50 and decided to use it.  I ended up loving it because I could pin the ruffles to the wreath.  This way I can unpin and fix them or I can unpin them with each season and make a new wreath.
So I started wrapping my wreath and a little ways into it I said out loud, "I am so not loving you."  I then sat down and ate a large piece of caramel filled chocolate and thought about it.
See, not right is it?  I ended up undoing it and then when I wrapped again I made my wraps further apart.  It was one of those subtle night and day differences.
I also kinda need to re-do part of the wreath but I really don't want to go to the store again.  You see I bought the material at my local Wally World (it's about the only store in town).  I ended up not having enough so I had to go back.  You know Wally World does not have the biggest selection of fabric so I wasn't too concerned about matching exactly.  I got there to pick up a little more and I thought to myself as I was looking at the fabrics "I thought I bought kinda a creamy white last time but I don't see anything creamy so I must not have."  And I bought the white.  I got it home and I was correct, my original fabric is creamy and my new fabric is white white.  See.
So I need to go back to the store but I have no desire to drag my 3 monkeys back to the store at the moment and I didn't want to make you wait any longer so here is my imperfect wreath.  When I go back I am going to buy more white white.

Total Time:
I kinda lost track of time between my chocolate think time and my having to return to the store but I would guestimate around 2 hrs.
Total Cost:
Wreath- $1.50
Fabric- about $3.00
You need about 1/3 yd of blue and 3/4 yd for both white and red.
So this wreath cost me a whopping $4.50.  You can't beat that.

Happy Crafting.  I will be back later this week for some tutu tips for you with the tutu drive.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Liz,I love you wreath, very cute thank's for future me in your blog

Nelda

Amy {The Idea Room} said...

Love the wreath! So cute and clever!

Liz said...

Thank you ladies. BTW Amy I love your blog so don't be too surprised to hear from me soon about featuring a tutorial.

Natasha said...

Ok, this wreath is GORGEOUS!! Major kudos.

Thank you so much for blogging about the tutu drive!

Tiffany said...

Just saw your wreath tonight! So FESTIVE and cute!

Anonymous said...

Just ran across your blog, I'm not even sure how! lol But I'm in love!! So glad I found you. I just love this wreath and will have to make one myself.. we'll sport it all year since my hubby is in the military. :)

Also wanted to add, the clothes you make for your girls are adorable! I'm trying to teach myself to sew clothing and it's not going well...lol.

Sabrina from www.bgamefamily.blogspot.com

Lorie said...

Very, very cute! I am going to feature it on my blog tomorrow! Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

I love your wreath, Liz! So much so I unconsciously copied it. lol! I just saw yours on Be Different, Act Normal. I'm linking it up to my Facebook page. :)
https://www.facebook.com/MMScrapShoppe

Jen said...

LOVE this! Can I ask how long the strips were that you ruffled and what size wreath form you used!? Yes, I am craft-handicapped so I need those silly details!?? Thanks!

Krysten said...

I'm linking to your inspiration!

Best,
Krysten
http://www.clickableparty.blogspot.com

mzzbev said...

Oh my word! This is so beautiful and so festive! Please share your Patriotic/Americana posts at my Patriotic Linky party going on now. The more the merrier. I really do love that wreath and need one badly for my door that still has a spring wreath hanging from it. This is truly beautiful. Have a safe and happy 4th of July!!

Rachel J said...

This looks really great! I love the ruffles.