Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fairy Wings

So I have made fairy wings in the past using knee high nylons and hangers, and while I liked them, I didn't like them.  (here is my old post about fairy wings.)  So with my eldest daughter having a fairy birthday it was time to make some new wings.  This time I bought galvanized wire from wal-mart and cellophane paper (I saw this idea somewhere but again I cannot find where so if you have seen it let me know please!)  And I think they turned out pretty darn cute.
So here is what you are going to need.  Galvanized wire (the whole spool is like $3), wire cutters duct tape, cellophane paper and not pictured hot glue gun.
 And for decorations, lots of glitter and again not pictured ribbon. (Sorry I have just finished 2 of the busiest months of my life and my sanity did not survive. Hopefully it will come back soon.)
 First let me apologize for the close up pictures of my gnarly carpet, I have dreamed of new carpet from the day we moved in, but alas it is still a dream.  Now on to the tutorial. First I cut two equal lengths of wire.  I would guesstimate that I cut around 2 feet.  Then I shaped the wire into fairy wings shapes.  If you wish you can cut two more equal pieces of wire and shape them as well for the bottom, but I was running short on time and that got left out on these ones. Duct tape all your piece together in the same spot around the ends of you wires. 
Now cut out a piece of cellophane paper slightly larger than one of your wings.  Now piece by piece hot glue it onto your wire,
 Repeat with all your wings and trim the excess paper.  Now lay your wings on some newspaper and get your spray glitter and go to town.  I did about 7 coats.
 Now get a cute flower or something you like to put in the middle to cover up your duct tape. Glue that down.
 Then attach ribbons about "shoulder" width apart with hot glue.  Make sure your ribbon is long enough to tie around the arms into cute bows in the front.  And add any other decorations you would like.  I kinda wish I had some marabou to glue around the edges but it was late and the birthday was the next day so really fast and simple was my goal.
Now if you are doing a 4 winged fairy instead of a two wing fairy I have a tip for you on how to attach all the wings together.  But since I didn't make some I have to do a "paint" drawing.  So please promise not to laugh at my artistic abilities.
So as you saw in my two wings I just taped them together in the middle but if we were adding two bottom wings that would be near impossible to add them to that spot as well.  So what you are going to want to do is finish off you wire out from the wing.  So you have a line between all the wings.  The red line in the drawing bellow is that wire. This way you can attach all your wings to the same spot.  You will need more tape to sturdy it up and a larger center piece to cover it up, but they will still be simple cute.
Okay please stop laughing at my drawing now.  Thank you.  As always if you have any questions feel free to let me know.

No comments: