Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Organize with Index Cards

Okay my first baby step is done.  I have helped to organize my life in two areas with index cards.  I bought a package of index card and two little index card boxes and then I started making lists.  The first thing I made list of was dinners that I make.  I separated them into the following categories: chicken, beef, pork, other and breakfast.  I know breakfast isn't dinner, but sometimes it is and I firmly believe that cold cereal isn't breakfast so I need breakfast recipes as well. Then I put the name of the dish on the index card then listed the ingredients on the card.  I didn't do the full recipe because I either have it memorized or written somewhere else so that felt redundant.  But now when I go to make the weekly menu and grocery list life will be easier. 

I was surprised at how many recipes I could think of that I make.  And I keep remembering more and adding them. 
I also put a bunch of cards in the back and two unlabeled sections so if I think of more, find more etc, I can add them easily.

The second list I did was all the chores (unseasonal) that have to be done.  I separated them accordingly: daily, twice a week, weekly, monthly (once every 4 weeks), quarterly, twice a year and yearly. I found that I could add all the quarterly, biannually and yearly together for a group. I then wrote the chores onto index cards according to the week.  I separated these into 4 groups, or 1 card for each week in a month. I left gaps on the cards to help me know which chore is in which group.
Top left are chores that need to be done daily, bottom left twice a week, top middle- weekly, bottom middle every other week, top right monthly and bottom right is the quarterly through yearly group.
I put them in their box according to their week.
So all the ones look pretty much the same, the only thing really different is the quarterly-yearly job.  Now for my weekly chore I will grab a card from the one section, when the week is through I will flip it and put it in the back of the "1" section.  the next week I will grab a "2" card and follow it's chores accordingly then flip it and put it in the back.  There are 52 cards so at the end of the year all will be flipped and I just will start over. 

If this is unclear let me know and I will try to clarify. 

P.S. I can't believe the amazing cake pop ideas coming in.  There are only a few days left to enter if you haven't already done so.

3 comments:

TiffanyM said...

I keep mine in a something like this.
http://www.target.com/Wood-Flip-Frame-Black-4x6/dp/B001LJQPLC/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

I can't stand when the books take up all my counter i can put it on the counter and it doesn't take up that much space!

Sierra Samson said...

You've inspired me. I am going to plan our meals in advance. Wish me luck!

Liz said...

Tiffany I have something like that for recipes I have on index cards. It is nice. Sierra get in the habit of meal planning now, when I do it life is a million times easier.