Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Tutorial Review {Ruffle Skirt}

First sorry I am way late about this but the 4th is a big holiday round these here parts, and it also happens to be the week of my anniversary. Hopefully I can stay caught up for the rest of the summer (fingers crossed).
Now for the review.  I am really into ruffles and mixing and matching fabric as of late, have you noticed?  Today is no different.  This skirt I am doing comes from Grand Revival.
Tanya not only has some beautiful patterns but most impressive she designs fabric for Free Spirit. Other cool things about Tanya is she lives in Belgium and she loves old movies.  She has some absolutely beautiful fabric that you should defiantly check out. She also has a big project that will be finished in Oct.  I can't wait to see what it is.  Also I am desperately trying to find out how I can get my hands on this fabric of hers. If you see it let me know.
Okay now back to the subject.  This is the skirt we are making today. Go here for the tutorial.
I love that skirt and yes those are some of her fabulous fabrics as well.  This is my finished product.
I have actually made a handful of these skirts.  I love them they are so quick and they are darling.  I make them and whenever one of my little monkeys has a b-day party to go to this is our gift. I have adjusted it slightly though.  Her measurement hits just above the knee.  I am kinda weird and that length drives me nuts so I make it to hit just below the knee.
The only part of the tutorial I had a hard time understanding was how to put the two pieces together so let me see if I can clear that up for you.  When you have your top pieces done, fold the top one in half.
Now stick the second piece inside so the raw edge is even with the middle seem.
Now sew them together and your done.
I just think that is so cute!

Now I have figured out how to make this skirt for just about any sized little girl.  So I am going to be oh so generous and share with you what sizes to cut your material out to fit any girl 3mo-8yrs.
Your Welcome!  Keep in mind to cut out 2 of each band (The smaller bands I just double and cut once ie. if I need two 13 inch bands I cut out one 26 inch band and call it good.) Also I realize that this chart might be difficult to see.  If you can't make out what you are looking for let me know and I will clarify for you.

Total Time :
Around 1- 1 1/2 hrs depending on how ornery my machine and my children are the moment.
Total Cost:
I've made it for as little as $3.  The one pictured is probably $6

Have fun making this darling skirt.  If you absolutely love it but don't want to make it I am working on putting a few up in my etsy store.  Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions.

p.s. don't forget about the tu-tu giveaway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cute, cute, cute !!!! especailly the model and your backyard looks good too !!!